Simple Grilled Veggies
Delicious veggies, cooked to perfection. I have come to realize that basically anything that can be cooked in your oven or on your stove can be BBQ’d. More often than not, food that is BBQ’d not only taste’s better, but is cooked in a healthier manner and maintains more of the nutrients – Lets face it – that’s why we eat in the first place… Vegetables are a vital part of a healthy diet. We eat them with most dinner’s but many of the BBQ’s I have attended over the years have fallen into the traditional standard – steak served with a bowl of salad. Try mixing it up a bit next time.
- 2 x Red capsicum, cut into flat, wide strips
- 2 x Zucchini’s, cut into halves, lengthwise
- 12 Asparagus spikes
- 1 x Medium eggplant, cross sliced into 1/2 centimeter rings
- 1 Large red onion, cross sliced into 1/2 centimeter rings
- 2 x lemons, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon of cracked black pepper
- Place vegetables in a shallow dish that is big enough for vegetables to be in a single layer (not essential). Combine lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a jar and shake well. Pour liquid mix over vegetables 10 minutes before cooking.
- Pre-heat BBQ grill to high and cook vegetables for about 3 to 5 minutes turning occasionally. Keep the shallow dish with the excess marinade mix to serve the vegetables in.
- Grill temperatures vary greatly, so adjust this time to suit your BBQ. You want to achieve a nice grill line on you vegetables, but do not ant to over-cook them. They should be just warmed through and still be firm.
- To serve, place the vegetables back into the original dish and use a pastry brush to coat with the excess juices. Serve immediately.
- Tip:- If serving these with steaks, you can easily time everything well. Once your steaks are cooked, take them off and cover them to rest. If you then cook the vegetables, everything will be ready at the same time to serve together.
Australian Outdoor Kitchens http://australianoutdoorkitchens.com.au/